United States Virgin islands are an insular area of the United States.
These beautiful islands are rich with historical architecture.
- Hurricane Hole - Saint John. Unusual underwater ecosystem, where mangroves grow together with corals. Here are some 30 species of corals, as well as high diversity of other organisms.
- Solanum conocarpum find - Saint John. Find of a very rare tree which is known only from a single place - this location.
Man made landmarks
- Blackbeard's Castle - Saint Thomas. Watchtower, built by Danes in 1679.
- Fort Christian - Saint Thomas, Christiansted. Danish built fortification, construction started in 1672, basically built in 1738. Fine Neo-Gothic entrance with clock tower, built in 1874.
- Fort Frederik - Saint Croix. Large fort, built by Danish in 1752 - 1760.
Other man made landmarks
- Emmaus Moravian Church - Saint John. This site, according to local legends, is haunted.
- Estate Little Princess - Saint Croix. Historic plantation site, with Danish built hospital building from the 19th century and many ruins of historical buildings.
- Catharinenberg Sugar Mill Ruins - Saint John. Comparatively well preserved ruins of the 18th century sugar and rum factory.
- Christiansted - Saint Croix. Unusual town built by Danish and black people and showing both influences of Danish and African art and architecture. Contains many buildings which were built in the 18th - 19th century.
- New Herrnhut Moravian Church - Saint Thomas. Historical Moravian church, built in 1737.
- Reef Bay Valley petroglyphs - Saint John. Group of well preserved petroglyphs at the waterfall of Living Gut stream.
- St. Thomas Synagogue - Saint Thomas. The second oldest synagogue in Americas, built in 1833. Congregation founded in 1796. Sand floor. Wooden furniture and other furnishings made from mahogany, menorah from Spain, the 11th century.
List of described attractions by districts
United States Virgin Islands are an insular territory of the United States. It is divided into 3 districts, which correspond to three main islands.
|Christiansted||Cities and towns|
Map of United States Virgin Islands
There is a Danish planned town built by black people in Caribbean - Christiansted. This charming colonial town is located in Saint Croix, United States Virgin Islands.
USA's National Parks - Hawaii & US Territories (Chapter)