Most amazing landmarks of Anglesey are:
- Archaeological heritage - island and nearby smaller islands are very rich with diverse archaeological monuments, including several stones with amazing prehistoric carvings.
- Early medieval architecture - there are several interesting structures, which were built already around the 3rd - 6th century AD, as well as interesting buildings from later medieval times, including the high achievement of British defensive architecture - Beaumaris Castle.
- Beech in Plas Newydd - largest beech (Fagus sylvatica) in Britain. Girth of this tree is 9.62 m, height - 26 m.
- Bwa Gwyn and Bwa Du - beautiful natural arches above the sea.
- Natural tunnel in Penmon - few metres high arch - tunnel under the cliff near the sea.
- Ogof Badrig (Patrick's Cave) - Seaside cave below the Llanbadrig Church. Site of legends - reportedly St Patrick found a refuge here after the shipwreck.
Man made landmarks
- Barclodiad y Gawres - neolithic burial chamber on the coast. Notable features of this cruciform passage grave are decorated stones, adorned with spiral marks, chevrons, wavy lines and other motives. Reroofed with concrete.
- Bodowyr passage grave - Neolithic passage grave. A dolmen with three upright stones covered with a capstone.
- Bryn Celli Ddu - site of stone circle and burial mound with passage grave. Stone circle and henge were built here in Neolithic period. Stones were removed in Bronze Age, when here was built passage grave. In the burial chamber was located a carved stone with twisting, serpentine design. Now there is replica standing outside. Passage is oriented towards sommer solstice.
- Lligvy Burial chamber - surprising megalithic monument – a circle of upright stones with giant, 25 tons heavy slab on top. Here were found remains of some 15 – 30 people and late Neolithic pottery.
- Trefignath Chambered Tomb - large, impressive chambered tomb. First part built around 3000 BC, supplemented several centuries later.
- Cytiau Tŷ Mawr - prehistoric hut circles in Holyhead Island – ring-shaped fundaments from Iron Age. These huts were in use up to the 6th century AD.
- Din Lligwy - village site of Roman – early British times with well preserved, circular stone fundaments of huts with outer walls.
- Holyhead Mountain - prehistoric village site with remains of some 50 buildings. Village covered 6 - 8 ha, in use from 500 BC - after Roman times. In some hut circles have been found examples of stone furniture.
Other archaeological monuments
- Castell Bryn Gwyn - megalithic structure – possible shrine of late Neolithic period (2500 – 2600 BC). Consists of circular, some 1.5 m high bank, with a diameter of approximately 54 m. To the north-east stand approximately 4 m tall standing stones - tallest in Wales.
- Llwydiarth Esgob Stone - stone with intricate carvings - grooves, cupules, cup and ring marks.
- Beaumaris Castle - one of the most sophisticated medieval castles in Britain. Construction started in 1295, not completed.
- Castell Aberlleiniog - ruins of a motte and bailey fortress, built between 1080 and 1090. Originally here was a timber structure but before the middle of the 17th century it was replaced with stone structure.
Churches and monasteries
- Church of St Cwyfan on Cribinau (the church in the sea) - small island with a church built in the 13th century. Church still is used.
- Llanbadrig Church - church building in the site where the first Christian church was built in 440 AD or earlier. Current church building has been rebuilt several times. In the west wall is old gravestone which is made in the 9th century AD or even significantly earlier. This stone - Ichthus Stone - bears fish symbol.
- Penmon Priory (St. Seiriol's monastery) - old monastery, eastablished in the 6th century AD. The oldest parts of the church building are from 1140. Inside the church are two ornate stone crosses from the 10th century.
- Tal-y-Ilyn St Mary’s Church - small medieval church, oldest parts might be preserved since the 12th century. Church is almost unchanged.
- Britannia Bridge - one of two historical bridges linking Anglesey Island to mainland. Original bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson and was a tubular bridge of wrought iron. In 1972 it was rebuilt as a beautiful two tier arch bridge. Total length – 461 m, longest span – 140 m, rises 40 m above the water.
- Llynnon Mill (Melin Llynnon) - the only historical windmill in Anglesey. Built in 1775, renovated and open to the public.
- Melin y Bont (Melin Isaf) - unique mill, powered by wind and water. Built in 1825.
- Menai Suspension Bridge - one of the first modern suspension bridges in the world. Designed by Thomas Telford, built in 1819 – 1826. Length of whole bridge – 417 m, longest span is 176 m. Deck is rised 30 m above the water.
- Plas Newydd - country house, seat of Marquess of Anglesey. Current house built in the 18th century in Neo-Classical and Neo-Gothic styles. House contains the largest painting of Rex Whistler. Reported haunting by the Old Maids.
- St. Seiriol's Well - holy well with a built structure. Lower part of stone walls of this structure are built in the 6th century AD.
- Tudor Rose in Beaumaris - one of the oldest preserved timber framed buildings in Britain, built in the 14th century.
List of described attractions
|Barclodiad y Gawres||Megaliths, Ancient burials|
Map of Isle of Anglesey
Featured: Barclodiad y Gawres
This passage grave holds a unique value - six stones with prehistoric carvings. But there is more than this: in the distant past in this mound have taken place mysterious rituals...
Wales travel guide