List of described attractions by islands
Cayman Islands is a British Overseas Territory.
Cayman Islands - map
Cayman Islands are the most remote Caribbean Islands. These small islands are that remote that archaeologists are not sure whether any people lived here in Pre-Columbian times at all.
Islands are rich with endemic species of plants and animals and have some comparatively recent historical landmarks. Besides the beautiful dive sites interesting are the caves and cliffs of Cayman Brac.
- Bat Cave, Great Cave, Peter's Cave, Rebeca's Cave - Cayman Brac. Some of the many caves on Cayman Brac, which often are adorned with stalactites and stalagmites. Caves are used by local people as hurricane shelters. Massive stalagmites in Peter's Cave look as if they are holding the ceiling of the cave. Bats and owls live in Bat's Cave. Rebeca's Cave is named after a baby girl who died in the cave while the family hid from hurricane.
- Caymanite find in Bluff - Cayman Brac. Find of semi-precious stone - hard variety of dolostone with interesting colors.
- Caymanite find in East End - Grand Cayman. Another find of the rare variety of dolostone in bright colors.
- Hell - Grand Cayman. Area covered with limestone pinnacles, formed by karst processes. If a pebble is thrown in it, it sounds as if falling for a long time.
- The Bluff - Cayman Brac. Massive, up to 43 m tall limestone cliff at the sea - the most impressive relief form in Cayman islands. Many caves and blowholes.
Man made landmarks
- Bodden Town Mission House - Grand Cayman. Historic house, which since 1800 became a "Mission House", as here lived missionaries and teachers with their families.
- Fort George - Grand Cayman. Remains of colonial fort, which was built in 1790. Partly demolished in 1972.
- National Museum of Grand Cayman - Grand Cayman. Museum in historical, more than 150 years old building. It has served as a government building, jail, court, post office.
- Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park - Grand Cayman. Botanical garden with rich collections of tropical plants, protected nature area with rare local species of plants and animals.
- Pedro St. James Castle - Grand Cayman. Manor house - the oldest structure in Cayman islands, built in 1780. Historical house of plantator William Eden. Parliament of Cayman Islands started its operations here in 1831.