Highlights of Conwy are:
- Conwy walled town and Conwy Castle - magnificent monuments included in UNESCO World Heritage list.
- Country houses - there are well preserved country houses from the 15th - 17th century.
- Fairy Falls - picturesque, 7 – 8 m tall falls over angled rockface. Stories about the sightings of fairies.
- Grey Mare's Tail - horsetail waterfall divided in two streams.
- Llangernyw Yew - beautiful, giant yew tree in the garden of St.Digain's Church. Circumference of the fragmented tree – 10.75 m.
- Swallow Falls (Rhaeadr Ewynnol) - impressive falls, similar to very steep rapids.
- Brenig 51 (Brenig Platform Cairn) - unusual, reconstructed archaeological monument - round platform made of small stones with a small circle in the middle.
- Coed Gaer Hut Circle - well preserved hut circle - cleared circle with stone ring around.
- Hwylfa’r Ceirw Stone Alignment - unusual monument - approximately 100 m long avenue with rather small limestone boulders at both sides of it.
- Lower Kendrick's Cave - cave with very important finds of people who lived here in interglacial period, roughly at 30 000 BC. Here were found four human skeletons, decorated deer teeth, horse jaw adorned with zigzag pattern.
- Conwy Castle (Conway Castle) - castle built in 1283 – 1289, during the English conquest of Wales. Represents a high achievement of military architecture.
- Dolwyddelan Castle - ruins of a castle on a hilltop, built between 1210 and 1240. Consists of two rectangular towers with curtain wall between.
- Gwydir Castle - fortified manor from around 1500. Authentic restoration is on-going. Garden contains giant yew tree, considered to be 600 - 1000 years old.
Country houses, manor houses
- Bodysgallen Hall - manor house from 1620. In the Middle Ages here was a tower house, a stone structure was built here even in the 5th century AD.
- Gloddaeth Hall - large country house. The oldest part is built in the 16th century, eastern wing added roughly 1700, further extended in the 19th century.
- Gwrych Castle - impressive folly of a castle, built in 1819 - 1825 in the site of former medieval castle.
- Hafodunos Hall - exquisite country house, built in Neo-Gothic style in 1861 - 1866 in the site of earlier country house. Now in dire condition.
- Kinmel Hall - large, beautiful country mansion, built in the 1870s. Walled gardens.
- Maenan Hall - country house from the ate 15th century. Most notable value is central hall with gothic arch and fine Elizabethan plasterwork from 1582.
- Aberconwy Abbey - former Cistercian monastery, established here around 1190. The original church has been preserved, although rebuilt in later times.
- Caerhun St. Mary Church - the 14th century church in the site of Roman fort.
- Conwy St Mary Church - medieval church, with some parts remaining from the 12th century. Contains many values of medieval art.
- Gwydir Uchaf Chapel - beautiful family chapel for Wynns of Gwydir, built in 1673. Painted timber ceiling.
- Llangelynnin St. Celynin's Church - remote church, built in the 12th or 13th century. It is considered that the first Christian shrine was established here around the 6th century AD. Holy well near the church.
- Llanrhychwyn Church - old church, originally established in the 6th century. Oldest parts are from the 11th century AD. Stained glass window from 1533.
- Conwy Railway bridge - first wrought iron tubular bridge, designed by William Fairbairn and completed in 1848. Unique monument of structural design, goes straight under the Convy Castle.
- Conwy Suspension Bridge - one of the first road suspension bridges in the world, now passable only by foot. Built by Thomas Telford, completed in 1826, goes through the rock where stands Conwy Castle, destroying part of the castle.
- Waterloo Bridge - cast iron bridge, designed in 1815. Brodge is covered with beautiful floral design.
- Y Bont Fawr - Llanwrst Bridge (Pont Fawr) - beautiful bridge with three arches, built in 1636 in the site of earlier bridge.
- Angelystor voice in St.Digain's Church - site of legends. Reputedly every year in Hallowe'en in the church there is heard a voice of a spirit "Angelystor" - he is calling the names of all those who will die in coming year in the parish.
- Bodnant Garden - some of the most beautiful gardens in Britain, developed around Bodnant House in 1874 – 1914. In garden are grown high quality rhododendrons aand azaleas. Contains 48 m tall Californian Redwood and 48 m tall Oregon Douglas fir.
- Conwy walled town - town developed in the late 13th century, built for English settlers. The well preserved walls around the town represent a great achievement of military architecture.
- Gardens of Bodysgallen Hall - lush terraced gardens. Originally designed in 1678, contains impressive topiary maze.
- Quay House (Smallest House in Great Britain) - very small apartment building on Conwy. Built in the 16th century and inhabited until 1900. House is 3.05 by 1.8 m large.
- Plas Mawr - historical house in Conwy, the best preserved Elizabethan town house in United Kingdom. Built between 1575 and 1586. Facade is adorned with beautiful plasterwork. Reported paranormal events.
List of described attractions
Map of Conwy
Featured: Llangernyw Yew
The Llangernyw Yew often is declared to be one of the oldest trees in the world. The exact age of this tree is impossible to tell but there are estimates that it is 4,000 - 5,000 years old.
If this is correct, this yew was growing already in the Bronze Age.
This map is aimed at outdoor enthusiasts in particular, the level of details ensures nothing gets missed and you won't get lost.
Conwy and district has a history stretching back unbroken to the Palaeolithic. The long history of the district can be delightfully demonstrated through an examination of selected buildings.