This small country has very impressive scenery with tall mountains, very deep gorges and canyons and sea with cliffs, small islands and deep bays.
Most impressive landmarks of Montenegro are its historical seaside towns - for most part these were Venetian port cities, often built on small islands or peninsulas - such as Sveti Stefan or Budva.
In Montenegro is located also one of the most impressive river canyons in the world - Tara River Canyon.
- Komarnica Canyon (Piva Canyon) - Plužine. 33 km long and up to 800 m deep canyon - a spectacular natural landmark shaped in limestone.
- Tara River Canyon - Pljevlja, Plužine, Žabljak and Bosnia Herzegovina, Republika Srbska. The most impressiver river canyon in Europe, up to 1,100 m deep. Canyon is 82 km long. Along it have been found more than 80 caves.
- Ledena Pecina (Ice Cave) - Žabljak. Large cave with massive ice formations inside it, near the entrance. Known length of the cave - 231 m.
- Lipa Cave - Cetinje. Enormous cave with some 3.5 km long passages which are adorned with stalactites, stalagmites and other cave formations.
- Pecina nad Vrazjim Firovima - Bijelo Polje. The longest known cave in Montenegro, with the explored length of passages exceeding 11 km. Cave contains interesting cave formations including a system of gours (rimstone dams).
- Krnjice Spring - Bar. Powerful spring which discharges under the water of Skadar Lake at the depth of approximately 20 m. Output of this spring may exceed 30,000 l/s.
- Raduš Spring - Bar. Most powerful spring which discharges under the water of Skadar Lake. The spring lake has been dived up to 76 m deep.
- Sopot Spring - Kotor. Very powerful, intermitent spring which at times can reach a yield of 120 000 litres per second. Spring originates in a cave and flows with a waterfall into the sea.
Man made landmarks
- Duklja (Doclea) - Podgorica. Remnants of Roman town which was founded in the 1st century AD and declined in the 4th century AD. Here are remnants of forum, Christian basilica, temples of Diana and Roma, other structures. Near the town is located necropolis with more than 300 explored tombs.
- Budva Old Town - Budva. Fortified citadel of the ancient city of Budva with well rebuilt (after earthquake) historical buildings inside the fortifications. Old city is located on a peninsula and its fortifications are well preserved.
- Kotor - Kotor. Beautiful historical town in a deep bay which is surrounded by tall mountains. This port city has Venetian built ˜ 4.5 km long fortification walls including a fortified port. Medieval street network and buildings have been very well preserved and renovated.
- Old City of Bar - Bar. Abandoned medieval part of Bar city. This citadel is enclosed in fortification walls and has ruins of many valuable buildings from the 11th to the 19th century.
- Perast - Kotor. Historical town in Kotor Bay. In the town is located a multitude of valuable buildings in Venetian style including 16 palaces, 9 defensive towers, numerous churches.
- Sveti Stefan - Budva. Small, densely build medieval town on peninsula - earlier it was an island.
- Ulcinj Old Town (Ulcinj Castle) - Ulcinj. Fortified medieval town at the Adriatic Sea. The fortifications in some places are very old, from the Illyrian times (some 2000 years).
- Church of Our Lady of the Rocks - Kotor. Church in Baroque style, constructed in 1632. Church is located on a small, artificial island in Kotor Bay.
- Kotor Cathedral - Kotor. Medieval cathedral in Romanesque style, consecrated in 1166. Church contains important values of culture including frescoes from the 14th century.
- Morača Monastery - Kolašin. Medieval monastery which was founded in 1252. The church has been preserved and is built in Rascian style. Church has important frescoes - the oldest ones have been painted in the 13th century.
- Moračnik Monastery - Bar. Small, fortified monastery on an island in the Skadar Lake. It was built after 1400.
- Ostrog Monastery - Danilovgrad. This impressive monastery is built in almost vertical cliff and is the most popular pilgrimage site in the country. It was founded in the 17th century. Most of the current structures were created in 1923 - 1926.
- St. George Monastery on Sveti Đorđe - Kotor. Old monastery which was founded in the 12th century and takes almost the whole island of Sveti Đorđe in Kotor Bay.
- Bar Aqueduct - Bar. 3 km long aqueduct which was constructed in the 16th century to supply with water Stari Bar town. Especially impressive is bridge across valley with 17 large arches.
- Đurđevića Tara Bridge - Žabljak. Impressive arched bridge across Tara River valley. Bridge was built in 1940 and has five arches, it is 365 m long and up to 172 m high above the river.
- Mala Rijeka Viaduct - Podgorica. Very tall railway viaduct which was constructed in 1969 - 1973. It is 200 m above the river and was the world's tallest railway bridge from 1973 to 2001.
List of described attractions by municipalities
Montenegro is divided into 23 municipalities.
|Sveti Stefan||Cities and towns, City walls|
Map of Montenegro
Featured: Sveti Stefan
The mountainous coast of Montenegro is rich with cultural heritage. Especially beautiful are historical towns, such as Sveti Stefan.