Wondermondo informs you about the most interesting, beautiful, mysterious locations on Earth.
Currently described 445 landmarks.
Paro Taktsang ("Tiger's lair of Paro") is one of the holiest places not only in Bhutan but in whole Himalaya. This amazing monastery is entwined with legends... or may be these miracles happened in reality?
Did you know?
- In the least explored swamp of the world - Likouala Swamps is located the mysterious Lake Tele (Republic of the Congo). According to local legends here lives the mysterious mokele-mbembe and other weird creatures.
- There is only one impact crater on Earth with ejecta rays still visible - Kamil Crater in Egypt.
Crossection of Vrtiglavica cave with waterfall. Note that the scale is distorted - lower part is "squeezed".
Gatis Pāvils, basing on measurements of JDD Koper and other speleologists, CC-BY-SA-3.0
- Arorae navigational stones (Kiribati) are unique megaliths. These standing stones were erected in the late 19th century and served as a navigational aid for islanders sailing towards other islands.
- The newest impact crater on Earth is Carancas impact crater in Peru. This 13.5 m wide crater was blasted by 1.6 - 2 m wide meteorite in 2007.
- El Mirador, Guatemala. This Mayan pyramid is 72 m tall and its volume exceeds the volume of the largest pyramids in Egypt.
- The tallest waterfall in France is Grande Cascade de Gavarnie – Gavarnie Falls. This 422 m tall waterfall forms a magnificent backdrop of Cirque de Gavarnie – the most dramatic landscape in Pyrenees.
- The famous Avenue of the Baobabs consists of giant Grandidier's baobabs (Adansonia grandidieri) - rare species, which grows only in the dry forests of western Madagascar.
Dysommina rugosa eels in Nafanua Eel City.
Alia Expedition Home Page / free for non-commercial educational use.
- In the centre of Sahara, in Chad is located active geothermal area - Soborom geothermal field with hot springs.
- Chir Batti in India is one of sites with unexplained light phenomena. Sometimes here are observed balls of light floating near the ground level.
Map of the described landmarks
This map shows only the "Rank 1" and "Rank 2" monuments. Red dots are architecture monuments, pink - archaeological, blue - geological and meteorological, green - biological. All landmarks are visible on this map!
Wondermondo offers an exclusive table where are listed 191 impact structures - all scientifically confirmed impact structures on Earth!
February 18, 2013
Few places in the world can compare to Marquesas Islands regarding the scenery. Marquesas are adorned with incredible cliffs, rock needles, ravines, canyons - for most part covered with a lush tropical forest or dry scrub. More charm is added by the picturesque villages with countless flowers and above all - welcoming and artistic people.
The archaeological heritage of Marquesas is not less charming. Quite a few megalithic monuments here are known touristic landmarks, but unknown number of mysterious stone structures and statues are hiding in the forests. A true fairytale land!
Happily the islands are not flooded by tourists - this place is very remote and the beauty of Marquesas is not much known in the world.
Kokkol Falls in Altai Mountains.
Петербургская школа йоги, Алтай – Кочевник 2009 / license comparable to CC BY 2.0
Most beautiful falls in the western part of Altai Mountains are Kokkol Falls - impressive, 60 - 80 m tall waterfall.
February 28, 2014
Traces left by fast swimming, enormous animal on the surface of Lake Kanas.
Screenshot from spectacular episode shown on CCTV news, 2012. Filmed from some 2 km distance.
There are no doubts that some enormous animals live in Kanas Lake - possibly the largest freshwater fishes in the world. Nevertheless their existence has not been proved yet.
February 16, 2014
Interesting monument of Cypriot medieval art is Antiphonitis Church - church with unusual architecture and remnants of valuable frescoes. Unfortunately it has been looted and part of its value has been lost forever.
February 4, 2014
Japan is rich with giant trees. The largest is Jōmon Sugi - giant cryptomeria in the mountains of the small Yakushima (Yaku Island). It is estimated that this tree is more than 3,000 years old although some believe that it could be even 7,200 years old.
January 5, 2014
Kpalimé Falls are more than 100 m tall and belong to tallest waterfalls in Togo.