Wondermondo informs you about the most interesting, beautiful, mysterious locations on Earth.
Currently described 478 landmarks.
Paro Taktsang ("Tiger's lair of Paro") is one of the holiest places not only in Bhutan but in whole Himalaya. This amazing monastery is entwined with legends... or may be these miracles happened in reality?
Did you know?
- In the least explored swamp of the world - Likouala Swamps is located the mysterious Lake Tele (Republic of the Congo). According to local legends here lives the mysterious mokele-mbembe and other weird creatures.
- There is only one impact crater on Earth with ejecta rays still visible - Kamil Crater in Egypt.
Cross section of Vrtiglavica cave with waterfall. Note that the scale is distorted - lower part is "squeezed".
Gatis Pāvils, basing on measurements of JDD Koper and other speleologists, CC-BY-SA-3.0
- Arorae navigational stones (Kiribati) are unique megaliths. These standing stones were erected in the late 19th century and served as a navigational aid for islanders sailing towards other islands.
- The newest impact crater on Earth is Carancas impact crater in Peru. This 13.5 m wide crater was blasted by 1.6 - 2 m wide meteorite in 2007.
- El Mirador, Guatemala. This Mayan pyramid is 72 m tall and its volume exceeds the volume of the largest pyramids in Egypt.
- The tallest waterfall in France is Grande Cascade de Gavarnie – Gavarnie Falls. This 422 m tall waterfall forms a magnificent backdrop of Cirque de Gavarnie – the most dramatic landscape in Pyrenees.
- The famous Avenue of the Baobabs consists of giant Grandidier's baobabs (Adansonia grandidieri) - rare species, which grows only in the dry forests of western Madagascar.
Dysommina rugosa eels in Nafanua Eel City.
Alia Expedition Home Page / free for non-commercial educational use.
- In the centre of Sahara, in Chad is located active geothermal area - Soborom geothermal field with hot springs.
- Chir Batti in India is one of sites with unexplained light phenomena. Sometimes here are observed balls of light floating near the ground level.
Map of the described landmarks
This map shows only the "Rank 1" and "Rank 2" monuments. Red dots are architecture monuments, pink - archaeological, blue - geological and meteorological, green - biological. All landmarks are visible on this map!
Wondermondo offers unique list of 10 world's stoutest trees!
July 24, 2014
Few places in the world can compare to Marquesas Islands regarding the scenery. Marquesas are adorned with incredible cliffs, rock needles, ravines, canyons - for most part covered with a lush tropical forest or dry scrub. More charm is added by the picturesque villages with countless flowers and above all - welcoming and artistic people.
The archaeological heritage of Marquesas is not less charming. Quite a few megalithic monuments here are known tourist landmarks, but unknown number of mysterious stone structures and statues are hiding in the forests. A true fairytale land!
Happily the islands are not flooded by tourists - this place is very remote and the beauty of Marquesas is not much known in the world.
Ruins of once beautiful church near Mayon Volcano serve as a reminder: landscape near volcanoes might be beautiful but every moment one should expect sudden death. Belfry of Cagsawa Church is all what remains of prosperous town after it was destroyed by eruption in 1st February, 1814.
August 22, 2014
One of the most unusual and beautiful show caves in the world is Manjang Cave (Manjang Gul) in the beautiful Jeju Island. This is enormous, nearly 9 km long lava cave.
August 22, 2014
This is not alien planet. Group of Dragon's Blood Trees in Socotra. (possibly taken outside Rokeb di Firmihin)
Rod Waddington, Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0
One of the most unusual forests in the world is located on Rokeb di Firmihin, central part of Socotra Island. This is almost pure stand of rare Dragon's Blood Trees - legendary trees which look as if they have arrived from another planet.
August 6, 2014
One of the tallest waterfalls in Brazil is the 340 m tall Cachoeira da Fumaça. It is one of central attractions in the gorgeous Chapada Diamantina mountains.
August 1, 2014
One of main tourist attractions in the Mexican state of Oaxaca is an amazing tree - Árbol del Tule (Tule Tree). This Montezuma cypress at the breast height has a circumference of 36.2 m, thus making this species third stoutest in the world.