Wondermondo informs you about the most interesting, beautiful, mysterious locations on Earth.
Currently described 412 landmarks.
The second largest hot lake in the world is Boiling Lake in Dominica - only the Frying Pan Lake in New Zealand is larger.
Did you know?
Crossection of Vrtiglavica cave with waterfall. Note that the scale is distorted - lower part is "squeezed".
Gatis Pāvils, basing on measurements of JDD Koper and other speleologists, CC-BY-SA-3.0
- Arorae navigational stones (Kiribati) are unique megaliths. These standing stones were erected in the late 19th century and served as a navigational aid for islanders sailing towards other islands.
- The newest impact crater on Earth is Carancas impact crater in Peru. This 13.5 m wide crater was blasted by 1.6 - 2 m wide meteorite in 2007.
- El Mirador, Guatemala. This Mayan pyramid is 72 m tall and its volume exceeds the volume of the largest pyramids in Egypt.
- The tallest waterfall in France is Grande Cascade de Gavarnie – Gavarnie Falls. This 422 m tall waterfall forms a magnificent backdrop of Cirque de Gavarnie – the most dramatic landscape in Pyrenees.
- The famous Avenue of the Baobabs consists of giant Grandidier's baobabs (Adansonia grandidieri) - rare species, which grows only in the dry forests of western Madagascar.
Dysommina rugosa eels in Nafanua Eel City.
Alia Expedition Home Page / free for non-commercial educational use.
- In the centre of Sahara, in Chad is located active geothermal area - Soborom geothermal field with hot springs.
- Chir Batti in India is one of sites with unexplained light phenomena. Sometimes here are observed balls of light floating near the ground level.
- The coldest place on Earth most likely is Dome A in Antarctica. Thus far the lowest measured temperature reached here -82.5°C (July 2005) but scientists consider that it might fall even as low as -102°C.
Map of the described landmarks
This map shows only the "Rank 1" and "Rank 2" monuments. Red dots are architecture monuments, pink - archaeological, blue - geological and meteorological, green - biological. All landmarks are visible on this map!
Wondermondo offers an exclusive table where are listed 191 impact structures - all scientifically confirmed impact structures on Earth!
Fenruary 18, 2013
Few countries in the world have such visually stunning landmarks as Namibia - it is no wonder that the landscape of Namibia has been used in movies to depict life on other planets.
Highlights of Namibia are:
- Ecosystems. In Namibia is located the eerie Succulent Karoo Ecosystem with thousands of life forms not met anywhere else in the world. Such plants as Welwitschia mirabilis or Aloe dichotoma create unusual sight which resemble life on another planet.
- Cliff formations, canyons. This is characteristic for many desert countries and Namibia is no exception - here are found numerous unusual cliff formations. Some of most impressing are Fish River Canyon and the 700 m tall Spitzkoppe.
There are several unique landmarks without analogues - such as the largest piece of natural iron in the world (Hoba meteorite), the largest underground lake, 50 m long crystals and some others.
Kubu Island is unusual place: a granite island with giant baobabs and mysterious ruins rising over seemingly endless, white salt flats.
June 17, 2013
Step by step the medieval trade town on Island of Mozambique is regaining its former glory. After a century long decay this historical town gains from the economical development of Mozambique and turns into exotic tourist destination.
June 10, 2013
BagelBelt, Wikimedia Commons, public domain.
The best known natural landmark in Lesotho is Maletsunyane waterfall. It belongs to top-league waterfalls of the world due to its impressive height (192 m), magnificent setting, rather wide stream and "clean", uninterrupted fall.
June 5, 2013
Although there are taller waterfalls in Swaziland, the beautiful Phophonyane Falls are the best known.
June 2, 2013
The new Sheikh Zayed Mosque testifies the ambitions of Abu Dhabi to become a regional centre of culture and religion. It is one of the most beautiful religious buildings of modern times.