Wondermondo informs you about the most interesting, beautiful, mysterious locations on Earth.
Currently described 480 landmarks.
The small Gambia has its own archaeological mysteries. Northern coast of Gambia River is dotted with interesting megalithic landmarks - prehistoric stone circles. No one knows for sure what was the purpose of these structures.
Near Wassu village is located the richest site - 11 Wassu stone circles. These prefectly shaped stones have been erected here circa 750 AD.
Did you know?
- In the least explored swamp of the world - Likouala Swamps is located the mysterious Lake Tele (Republic of the Congo). According to local legends here lives the mysterious mokele-mbembe and other weird creatures.
- There is only one impact crater on Earth with ejecta rays still visible - Kamil Crater in Egypt.
- It is possible that the tallest cave waterfall is approximately 400 - 440 m tall waterfall in Vrtiglavica - cave with the world's deepest vertical pitch (Slovenia).
- Arorae navigational stones (Kiribati) are unique megaliths. These standing stones were erected in the late 19th century and served as a navigational aid for islanders sailing towards other islands.
- The newest impact crater on Earth is Carancas impact crater in Peru. This 13.5 m wide crater was blasted by 1.6 - 2 m wide meteorite in 2007.
- One of the largest prehistoric structures in the world is La Danta pyramid in El Mirador, Guatemala. This Mayan pyramid is 72 m tall and its volume exceeds the volume of the largest pyramids in Egypt.
- The tallest waterfall in France is Grande Cascade de Gavarnie – Gavarnie Falls. This 422 m tall waterfall forms a magnificent backdrop of Cirque de Gavarnie – the most dramatic landscape in Pyrenees.
- The famous Avenue of the Baobabs consists of giant Grandidier's baobabs (Adansonia grandidieri) - rare species, which grows only in the dry forests of western Madagascar.
- There is a quickly rising volcano in American Samoa - Vailulu'u. On the summit of this potential future island live countless eels.
- In the centre of Sahara, in Chad is located active geothermal area - Soborom geothermal field with hot springs.
- Chir Batti in India is one of sites with unexplained light phenomena. Sometimes here are observed balls of light floating near the ground level.
This map shows only the "Rank 1" and "Rank 2" monuments. Red dots are architecture monuments, pink - archaeological, blue - geological and meteorological, green - biological. All landmarks are visible on this map!
List includes naturally formed sinkholes known to Wondermondo which are well pronounced (f.e. NOT included gently sloping valleys e.g. mega-dolines) and at least 150 m deep.
October 17, 2014
Few places in the world can compare to Marquesas Islands regarding the scenery. Marquesas are adorned with incredible cliffs, rock needles, ravines, canyons - for most part covered with a lush tropical forest or dry scrub. More charm is added by the picturesque villages with countless flowers and above all - welcoming and artistic people.
The archaeological heritage of Marquesas is not less charming. Quite a few megalithic monuments here are known tourist landmarks, but unknown number of mysterious stone structures and statues are hiding in the forests. A true fairytale land!
Happily the islands are not flooded by tourists - this place is very remote and the beauty of Marquesas is not much known in the world.
Gemstones belong to category of rare natural materials - materials which can be found just in a few localities of the world.
None can say exact number of kinds of gemstones. Creative lapidaries can make beautiful jewellery for almost any materials - but most videly used are some 30 kinds of gemstones.
More than 100 other kinds of natural stones are gorgeous gemstones as well, but are used less frequently due to their extreme rarity or rare occurence of gemstone quality samples.
A-Ma Temple might be the oldest building in Macau - built before the city developed. Come here early in the morning - this is wonderful, peaceful retreat from the congested, hectic city of Macau.
November 15, 2014
This waterfall by far is not the tallest nor the most beautiful in Taiwan, but nevertheless the gorgeous Wulai Waterfall and scenery around it illustrate the impressive wilderness near the metropolis of Taibei.
August 6, 2014
Ruins of once beautiful church near Mayon Volcano serve as a reminder: landscape near volcanoes might be beautiful but every moment one should expect sudden death. Belfry of Cagsawa Church is all what remains of prosperous town after it was destroyed by eruption in 1st February, 1814.
August 22, 2014
One of the most unusual and beautiful show caves in the world is Manjang Cave (Manjang Gul) in the beautiful Jeju Island. This is enormous, nearly 9 km long lava cave.