Dominica is one of the most beautiful Caribbean islands.
Highlights of this small, green island are:
- Geothermal features, including the second largest hot spring lake in the world - Boiling Lake.
- Waterfalls - scenic and powerful falls in a lush jungle setting.
- Boiling Lake - Saint Patrick. Flooded fumarole, filled with bubbling greyish-blue water and enveloped in a steam. Diameter of this lake is some 63 m. Temperature of water is 82 - 100 C°. At the late 19th century in the centre of lake formed a geyser which was up to 18 m high. Second largest boiling lake in the world.
- Champagne Beach - Saint Luke. In this underwater site countless bubbles and hot water rise from a lava bed.
- Soufriere Sulphur Springs - Saint Mark. Hot sulphuric springs, a sacred place.
- Valley of Desolation - Saint Patrick. Spectacular geothermal area with steam vents, fumaroles, hot springs and boiling mud pots.
- Middleham Falls - Saint Paul. 86 m tall waterfall.
- Sari Sari Falls - Saint Patrick. Beautiful waterfall with a spectacular, vertical plunge.
- Trafalgar Falls - Saint George. Spectacular, approximately 36 m tall waterfall of powerful river in rainforest.
- Victoria Falls - Saint Patrick. Approximately 30 m tall waterfall in primeval forest, ending in a blue lake.
- Wavine Cyrique - Saint David. 23 m tall waterfall, one of the few waterfalls which falls directly into the sea.
Other natural landmarks
- Titou Gorge - Saint George. Spectacular gorge, created by hot springs. Walls of this chasm are covered by lush tropical vegetation. In some places walls almost meet.
Man made landmarks
- Bois Cotlette - Saint Mark. One of the earliest French estates in Dominica, established in the 1720s. Still owned and inhabited by the family of its developers. Contains the only windmill tower in Dominica.
- Dominica Museum - Saint George. National museum of the country, located in historical post office, which was constructed in 1810.
- Fort Shirley - Saint John. Once important English fortification. Includes Officer's Quarters - Georgian structure, built in 1774 and gun batteries.
- Roseau Cathedral - Saint George. Catholic cathedral in Neo-Romanesque - Neo-Gothic style in 1850 - 1916. Ornate interior.
List of described attractions by parishes
Dominica is divided into 10 parishes:
|Boiling Lake||Geothermal features|
Map of Dominica
Featured: Boiling Lake
The second largest hot lake in the world is Boiling Lake in Dominica - only the Frying Pan Lake in New Zealand is larger.
At the bottom of this lake is located fumarole - a vent which emits hot steam and gases with high content of sulphur and arsenic.
As a result the lake is constantly bubbling: it emits gases and is some 90 °C hot in the middle. Bubbles of boiling groundwater rise up through the lake and heat the lake water.