This small desert country has not too many landmarks. Some of the few interesting landmarks are showpieces of modern architecture in Kuwait City and the archaeological heritage of Failaka Island.
Man made landmarks
Archaeological heritage on Failaka Island
- Al Hakim Palace - Al Asimah, Failaka Island. Remnants of Bronze Age palace - large building with rooms which had pillars.
- Al Khan (Dar Al Deyafa) - Al Asimah, Failaka Island. Remnants of inn - hotel, built in Greek time. building had 12 rooms and most likely served as a hotel and site for the relaxation of captains and sailors.
- Tell Sa'ad - Al Asimah, Failaka Island. This hill at the sea hides remnants of Bronze Age settlement - small houses built from mud and rock and covered with bitumen and red paint. Some of most significant buildings are Al Hakim Palace and Tower Temple.
- Tell Sae'ed fortress - Al Asimah, Failaka Island. Greek fortress, built in the 3rd century BC in the site of earlier settlement. Each side of this fortress is some 60 m long and on the corners were towers. Inside the fortress were two temples.
- Tower Temple - Al Asimah, Failaka Island. Remnants of Bronze Age temple - rectangular building with plastered floor.
Modern architecture in Kuwait City
- Al Hamra Tower - Al Asimah, Kuwait City. Tallest sculpted tower in the world - 412.6 m tall skyscraper with unique architecture. Tower has 80 floors.
- Kuwait Towers - Al Asimah, Kuwait City. Group of three towers which were constructed in 1977 with the main purpose to serve as water towers. Tallest tower is 187 m tall and has two spheres (water reservoir, restaurant and cafe), second is 147 m tall and has one sphere (water reservoir) but the third, 100 m tall sphere was built to supplement the ensemble and to provide lighting.
Other man made landmarks
- Kuwait Red Fort - Al Jahra. Historical fort, built in traditional style from bricks which were made by mixing mud and shrubs. Forti has rectangular form, with towers in corners. Site of the important Battle of Jahra in 1920.
List of described attractions by governorates
Kuwait is divided into 6 governorates. Here below they are listed in alphabetical order: