Mayotte is one of overseas departments of France. This small island is located in the Indian Ocean, near the Comoros islands.
Some of most interesting landmarks here are:
- Chissioua Mbouzi - small island, which is covered with tropical dry forest. Contains numerous species of plants endemic to Mayotte, including some plants found only here. On the island live some 750 brown lemurs (Eulemur fulvus mayottensis) - the only place where they live in wild (partly, as they are fed by people).
- Baobab of Musicale beach - the largest baobab tree on the island, with a circumference of 28 m.
- Mount Benara forest - the only high-altitude forest in Mayotte, area approximately 185 ha. Numerous endemic and rare species of animals and plants.
- Rouaka Falls - approximately 20 m tall waterfall near Ouangani village.
- Sakouli beach - beautiful beach with numerous giant baobabs.
- Soulou Falls - gorgeous waterfall at the beach.
- Tsingoni Mosque - old mosque which was built in 1538 by Tsingoni sultans. Their graves are located nearby.