This small country offers several outstanding landmarks.
Most interesting among them are world's oldest mines - the 42,000 years old Lion Cavern and the amazing, more than 4000 years old cliff paintings in Nsangwini Rock Shelter. Country is rich with impressive gorges and other rock formations.
- Mahamba Gorge - Shiselweni. Spectacular gorge.
- Mowane Gorge - Lubombo. Deep gorge, sacred place to local people.
- Ngwempisi Gorge - Manzini. Deep gorge of Ngwempisi River, formed in sandstone and shale.
- Usuthu Gorge - Lubombo. Deep, 8 km long gorge of Usuthu (Maputo) river with rare plants and animals, including cycads. Beloved place for rafting.
- Malolotja Falls - Hhohho. 90 m tall waterfall.
- Mantenga Falls - Manzini. 95 m tall waterfall, consists of two parallel streams sliding down along the granite cliff.
- Manzamnyama Falls - Shiselweni. Site of royal ceremonies in the past.
- Nsangwini Gap - Hhohho. Impressive rapids - falls on the powerful Komati River.
- Phophonyane Falls - Hhohho. 80 m tall waterfall, flowing down along steep surface of gneiss. On the stream have formed multiple falls and rapids. Exposed rocks are 3.55 billion years old.
Other natural landmakrs
- Sibebe Rock - Hhohho. Enormous, 800 m high granite dome, some 3 billion years old. Second largest monolith in the world.
Man made landmarks
- Ngwenya Mine (with Lion Cavern) - Hhohho. Lion Cavern is the world's oldest iron ore mine, which was worked at least 42 thousand years before present, in the Middle Stone Age. Iron ore was used as pigment - red ochre. Smelting of iron ore started sometimes around 400 AD. Mine contains a pool - sacred place for local people.
- Nsangwini Rock Shelter - Hhohho. Rock shelter famous due to rich displays of rock art. Cliff paintings were created by San people more than 4000 years ago and some drawings are truly surprising. Unusual are two winged figures and other paintings which may show ancient rituals.
- Sandlane Rock Paintings - Manzini. Comparatively well preserved prehistoric rock paintings, albeit washed out by tourists willing to see the images. Drawings show animals and humans.
- Siphiso Rock Shelter - Lubombo. Cave - prehistoric shelter, which has provided valuable information about the human past in this part of Africa.
List of described attractions by districts
Swaziland is divided into 4 districts.
Map of Swaziland
Featured: Phophonyane Falls
Although there are taller waterfalls in Swaziland, the beautiful Phophonyane Falls are the best known.