The most important religious center for the ancient Zapotec culture, developed in 900 BC – 1521 AD. Renowned due to elaborate mosaic fretwork adorning the facades of the buildings, panels, tombs. History of city continued until destruction by Spanish in middle of the 16th century.
|Location, GPS coordinates:||16.9271 N 96.3596 W|
|Categories:||Ancient cities and towns, Abandoned cities and towns|
|Where is located?||North America, Mexico, Oaxaca, north from the centre of San Pablo Villa de Mitla|