Most interesting wonders of Barbados
Below are listed the most amazing natural and man made landmarks of Barbados.
- Animal Flower Cave – partly submerged cave with yellow sea anemones and beautiful views on the ocean from its entrance.
- Coles Cave – approximately 1 km long cave. Possibly a part of Harrison’s Cave system. Contains nearly undisturbed cave ecosystem, with some endemic species.
- Harrison’s Cave – beautiful, 4.8 km long show cave with numerous stalactites and stalagmites. Tram runs through the cave. One of the entrances opens to Welchman Hall gully – collapsed cave with a remnant of pristine forest.
- The Spout – spectacular blowhole at Ladder Bay. Sea water is blown up from it up to 30 m high.
Man made landmarks
- Bridgetown historical center – Bridgetown. Old British colonial town with many historical buildings, developed since the middle of the 18th century.
- Garrison Historic Area (St. Ann’s Garrison) – historical district in Bridgetown. Contains many historical buildings of the British garrison. Important landmark is Garrison Savannah Racetrack.
- Speightstown historical center – one of the earliest settlements in Barbados, inhabited since the 1630s. Rather many historical buildings preserved in the center.
- Cathedral Church of Saint Michael and All Angels – Bridgetown. Anglican church, originally built in 1665 and rebuilt in 1789. Constructed from coral stone, fine stained glass windows.
- Nidhe Israel Synagogue – Bridgetown. One of the oldest synagogues in Americas, originally built in 1654 and rebuilt in the first half of the 19th century.
- St. James Parish Church – Holetown. The oldest existing church in Barbados. First built in 1628, then replaced with stone building in the 1690ies and mostly rebuilt in 1874.
- Drax Hall Estate – massive Jacobean mansion, constructed in the early 1650ies as the center of sugar plantation.
- Francia Great House – beautiful mansion, great house of plantation built around 1913. Contains valuable collection of historical maps.
- Sam Lord’s Castle – country house, built in the 19th century. Interiors and furniture have been preserved.
- St. Nicholas Abbey – plantation house in Jacobean style. One of three genuine Jacobean style buildings in Americas, built in 1650ies.
Other man made landmarks
- Barbados Mutual Life Assurance Society building – Bridgetown. Magnificent office building, constructed in Victorian style in 1894 – 1895.
- Chase Vault – burial vault, site of legends. According to a legend, every time when the vault was opened in the early 19th century, all lead coffins had changed position.
- Codrington College – historical building of sugar plantation and then theological college, built in 1714 – 1745.
- Morgan Lewis Windmill – one of two working sugar windmills in the world. Operated until 1942.
- Parliament Buildings – seat of the parliament of Barbados. Consists of two beautiful buildings in Neo-Gothic style, constructed in 1870 – 1874.
- Spring Head Cave – a cave with the only prehistoric petroglyphs in Barbados – crudely shaped stalagmites.
Described wonders of Barbados
This small Caribbean island has interesting historical heritage – numerous monuments of architecture and several historical towns. Country has interesting plantation houses and historical industrial architecture.
Featured: Animal Flower Cave
Barbados offers a very special way to look on the Atlantic Ocean – through the entrance of Animal Flower Cave, sitting in a pool which is elevated few meters above the sea level.
This insider’s guide reveals the island’s best-kept secrets, so you can feel like a “regular”, even on your first trip, and find activities for the whole family!
Known for its sophisticated resorts, British style, and warm inviting hospitality, Barbados is an island of broad vistas, sweeping seascapes, and acres of sugar cane. Mountainous St. Lucia is covered by rainforest that makes it one of the greenest islands in the Caribbean, and it also has vibrant coral reefs that draw scuba divers from all over the world. The two islands offer both all-inclusive and regular resorts and are linked by frequent air service, making the short hop in about 20 minutes.