Most interesting landmarks of Sint Maarten
Sint Maarten is one of constituent countries of the Kingdom of Netherlands. This minuscule island country has few landmarks.
- Billy Folly Bat Cave – small cave, bat habitat.
- Fort Amsterdam – Dutch fort, built in 1631. Fort changed hands between the Dutch, Spanish, English and French often. Now the ruins are an important breeding site for brown pelicans.
- Fort St. Louis – ruins of a fort built by French in 1767, later taken over by Dutch.
- Fort Willem – British fort, built in 1801 and taken over by Dutch in 1816.
- Mount Vernon Plantation – a plantation from 1786, producing sugar, coffee and rum. Historical master’s house.
- Philipsburg Courthouse – historical courthouse, built in 1793.
- Princess Juliana International Airport and Maho Beach – unusual beach due to very low flying aircraft. Airplanes should land as close as possible to the beach in order to manage the short landing.
Described landmarks of Sint Maarten[mapsmarker layer=”410″]
Do you want to discover the best places on St Maarten/St Martin?
Are you looking for some insider’s knowledge?
Do you hate being caught in the tourist traps?
Then this book is for you.