Most interesting landmarks of Sint Maarten
Sint Maarten is one of constituent countries of the Kingdom of Netherlands. This minuscule island country has few landmarks.
- Billy Folly Bat Cave – small cave, bat habitat.
- Fort Amsterdam – Dutch fort, built in 1631. Fort changed hands between the Dutch, Spanish, English and French often. Now the ruins are an important breeding site for brown pelicans.
- Fort St. Louis – ruins of a fort built by French in 1767, later taken over by Dutch.
- Fort Willem – British fort, built in 1801 and taken over by Dutch in 1816.
- Mount Vernon Plantation – a plantation from 1786, producing sugar, coffee and rum. Historical master’s house.
- Philipsburg Courthouse – historical courthouse, built in 1793.
- Princess Juliana International Airport and Maho Beach – unusual beach due to very low flying aircraft. Airplanes should land as close as possible to the beach in order to manage the short landing.
Described landmarks of Sint Maarten
Please add some markers to your posts before using this shortcode.
Do you want to discover the best places on St Maarten/St Martin?
Are you looking for some insider’s knowledge?
Do you hate being caught in the tourist traps?
Then this book is for you.