This is not the first church of St.Anne in Vilnius. First St.Anne church was a wooden building, located elsewhere. It was constructed in the times of Grand Duchess Anna in the late 13th or early 14th century and named after the Duchess. In these times Lithuania was not Chritianised and the church was built for visiting Germans and other Christians. It burned down in 1419.
Present church was built in the times of Alexander I Jagiellon, in the late 15th century. Since then it has remained largely unchanged although there have been several repairs, especially after the fires in 1560, 1564 and 1794.
It is not known who designed the church but two possible candidates are Michael Enkinger or Benedikt Rejt.
There is widely publicised legend which tells that Napoleon upon seeing this beautiful structure in 1812 expressed a wish to carry this church home, to Paris, "in the palm of his hand". Nevertheless these were not the best times for the church – it was turned into a military warehouse.
St.Anne church is small structure, it is a part of larger ensemble of buildings which includes also another Gothic church – Church of St. Francis and St. Bernard and monastery.
Next to the church stands also a belltower – separate building which at first moment looks somewhat similar to the St.Anne church. Nevertheless this structure was built in another epoch – in 1872, in Neo-Gothic style (architect Nikolai Chagin). It was built here after the previous bell tower was demolished due to the construction of new street.
Most impressive part of the church is its facade. Brick here is used in a novel way for its time, adapting to the trendy Flamboyant Gothic style with ogee arks. Here have been used 33 diverse kinds of brick.
Interior, including the altar, was shaped in Baroque style, but it is more restrained than the beautiful facade.
|Coordinates:||54.6831 N 25.2932 E|
|Values:||Art, Architecture, History|
|Address:||Europe, Lithuania, centre of Vilnius|
|Name in Lithuanian:||Vilniaus Šv. Onos bažnyčia|
|UNESCO World Heritage status:||Part of "Vilnius Historic Centre", 1994, No.541|
|Architectural style:||Flamboyant Gothic, Brick Gothic|
|Year of construction:||1495 – 1500|
|Branch of Christianity:||Catholics|
Most interesting landmarks in Lithuania are connected to human activities. In the past Lithuania was one of the largest and most influential European countries and some landmarks still are a testimony for this. Most interesting landmarks of Lithuania are concentrated in its largest and most beautiful cities – Vilnius and Kaunas. Especially beautiful are the diverse churches.
Throughout the history Christian churches have been the epitome of architecture and arts achievements in Western culture.
Presents the history of the capital city of Lithuania from its 14th century legendary beginnings up to 2009, when Vilnius bears the distinction of European Capital of Culture. Besides applying the traditional apparatus of historical investigation and referring to a large amount of sources, the special feature of this book is the ample quotes from travelers who passed through the city during their own life journeys.